Friday, December 5, 2008

Please try back during normal, business hours.

So lately I've been struggling with some stuff and have felt pretty much on my own spiritually.


I'm somewhat embarassed to say that it's not an uncommon struggle for me. But, on the upside, at least I'm still willing to struggle with it and I haven't given up completely.

I was looking through some old files on my computer last night, and I found this song setup that I did 3 years ago. It was a good reminder for me and I thought I'd share it.

I hope these type of posts don't come across as preachy - that isn't my intent. I just want to share my struggles and hope that they serve as encouragement for someone. So many of you have shared your struggles/victories with me and I have come away encouraged and uplifted. I hope that I can do the same for you.

Great Is Thy Faithfulness – 2005
Hope loves to look at Christmas lights. When she was little there was one house in our neighborhood that had one of those lighted Nativity Scenes. Every time we were out driving at night, we had to drive by it. We would turn onto our street and she would pipe up “I want to go Baby Jesus’ house and talk to Baby Jesus!” So we would always drive by, stop for a second and she would say night-night to Baby Jesus.

Well, one night we were coming home and we started down the street for Baby Jesus’ house – but when we got there, the lights weren’t on. I started to explain that maybe the people who lived there weren’t home or something but Hope interrupted with a dramatic proclamation: “Oh NO! We can’t talk to Jesus!”

Intrigued as to how she arrived at this bizarre theological conclusion, I asked her why we couldn’t talk to him.

She replied with a wail, “because Momma! He’s closed!”

There have been lots of times in my life when it felt like God was closed – like I was on my own. I’m not talking about times when I was going through something really difficult, I’m talking about just normal, everyday life. God felt different – He felt far-away. But, if I’m being totally honest with myself, I can see that the difference wasn’t with God – it was with me. I had stopped talking to Him. I wasn't spending any time with Him. I hadn't worked to keep Him in my life.

No wonder He felt so far away. I pushed Him there.

God’s faithfulness doesn’t change. He provides us with everything we need: His mercy, strength to get through today and the hope that we need to face whatever tomorrow holds. We serve a faithful God, we can always count Him and we can rest assured that He’s never closed.

5 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

I don't think they sound preachy at all. I think it's great to hear other's victories and trials spiritually. And as a worship leader, I'm grateful and impressed in the thought and prep you do for your song setups! FCCHB is lucky to have you!

And I've been really lagging on my comment posting lately, but meant to tell you I LOVE the picture of Hope with the Christmas lights!

Kristi said...

nicely said....

World of Wright said...

I love that you share your struggles. We all have them and it's nice to know you're not alone in your struggles.
You're awesome!

Rick said...

The enemy would have you believe no one is going through this but you. NOt true. Your story is a perfect example of why we need each other.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

Good stuff and great post. I think we all feel far away from God during normal times in our lives just as Rick pointed out. It's also safe to say that like you...we first point the finger at God and ask where He went.....but hopefully we'll look deeper inside ourselves and see that we are the ones who moved.

Thanks for the reminder!