Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It was more than just a crib...

Jack graduated from a crib to a big-boy bed.

We've been talking about it for a while - and decided on Monday that we would do it.

I was so excited.

Until it came time to take the crib apart.

It was pretty old - and had been taken apart several times over the years - so there was no saving it.

It broke when Kurt took it apart.

Something about seeing it in pieces like that really got to me.

It was more than just a crib.

It was the crib that both my kids used.

The crib that the kids and I would play peek-a-boo with.

The crib that both kids stood up in and fell asleep standing up because they couldn't figure out how to lay back down.

The crib that Hope was standing in when she ate half a tube of Butt Paste.

The crib Jack was sitting in when he threw his first big temper-tantrum.

The crib that both Hope and Jack slept in on their first night home with us.

The crib I leaned over so I could rub their backs when they cried (sometimes until I fell asleep leaning over it).

The crib that I paced in front of when one of them had a high fever.

The crib I prayed over every night when I tucked them in.

The crib I would just stare into and be amazed by how much love I felt for the little baby sleeping in it.

It was more than just a crib.

And now it's in pieces waiting to be taken to the dumpster.

I saved a piece of it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but I couldn't let it go.

It was more than just a crib...

14 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

SO sweet. My suggestion? Find a frame with 3 picture holes. Get a pic of each of your kids in the crib and in the middle frame, print this post out. You describing your affection for the crib is a beautiful and creative way you're describing your love for your kids and definitely worth saving.

Rick said...

Comment #1 is a great idea. Wish I had thought of it! You just ratcheted back up few notches in the mother of the year standings.

Michelle said...

Sweet.

shana said...

I'm getting all sad and stuff. I'll be a mess when Anna grows out of the crib . . . I can tell you that already! Hang in there!

VikingMom said...

Better yet on the picture frame idea...make the frame out of some of the wood from the crib. Kurt's handy right?

Sweet post Heidi. I understand that sadness that comes when you realize they're no longer little. Growing up is such a bitter sweet thing.

Unknown said...

Oooh, Heidi. I have been in many of those situations with other people's babies, that I have loved dearly. I tried not to tear up reading the blog.
I've nannied a couple brothers for almost 2 years. Last week, I walked into little Lucas' (nearly 2 1/2 years old :( ) room to read to him before his nap. We got over to the chair and when I turned around, I was shocked. The crib was gone and his bed was in it's place. I said, "(gasp)Lucas!? What's that? He replied, "My bed." I asked, "Where is your crib??" He smiled and said, "Op-stayews." Siiigh.
I think you have no choice but to go with the frame. :)
MB

Kristi said...

Oh man. It's official. I will never take Lexi out of her crib. Your beautiful post made me realize what a sad day it would be.

Cheers to a 13 year old sleeping in her crib!

Diane Davis said...

awwwww. under all of your wonderful spunk, you are full of sweetness.

Lisa's rants and raves said...

I understand! He wasn't my son, but I loved him so much anyway. Ashton passed away 4 years ago and one day a couple years ago, I found Janel cleaning through stuff in the basement, and she had put his baby seat out to be thrown in the dumpster. I stole it and it's now in my basement. I can't quite bring myself to throw it out It was the seat he was in when I would pick him up for visits to Janel's after he had gone home. He was such a beautiful baby boy and even though he was not blood (a foster nephew), I wouldn't have traded a minute with him for a minute with a child of my own.

Lyn said...

Beatufiul, Heidi!

StephanieJ said...

Oh....I loved your note. It made me tear up. We haven't had to take apart our crib yet - we just left it standing between when Isabella would have used it and when Isaac was born and then after he grew out of it before Lydia was born. I will be a DISASTER when we finally take it down someday. I agree with everyone else, you should print out your note, frame it with pictures of the kids in something that includes the wood from the crib. I love, LOVE that idea.

World of Wright said...

Awwww You made me tear up.

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet Heidi. I know this day is around the corner for us and I'm already sad! The highchair has been sitting (unused) for awhile in the kitchen and I can't bare to take it to the garage. So silly, I know! I love the picture frame idea. Brandi

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

what a great post. it's wonderful to have things that stir up beautiful memories in us.
I love Bunches' idea.....you should do that :-)